When looking to make Lifestyle Changes in your diet to help with weight loss and overall health, I seek out recipes from nutritionists around the world. This special twist on hummus from renowned author and celebrity judge of MasterChef Australia caught my attention as it takes all of the goodness from its individual ingredients to make a flavorful and vitamin-rich meal using your everyday hummus. Take a look at the recipe below and you will be whipping up your own version of this salad today!
Hummus, pumpkin, beetroot, and seeds with turmeric dressing
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin, seeds removed, sliced into wedges
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- Finely grated zest & juice of 1 orange
- 2 tbs white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2 each red and gold baby beetroots, peeled, thinly sliced using a mandoline
- 30g fresh turmeric, peeled, finely grated
- 3/4 cup (200g) thick Greek-style yogurt
- 1 cup (260g) hummus
- 50g baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup (50g) pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/3 cup (55g) sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup (80g) Sicilian or other green olives
- 200g feta, crumbled
How to Prepare
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Place the pumpkin on a baking paper-lined baking tray, toss with 1/4 cup (60ml) oil and sprinkle with ground turmeric, coriander seeds, and orange zest. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until tender and caramelized. Set aside to cool
- Meanwhile, combine vinegar, sugar, and 1 tsp salt in a bowl. Place the beetroot in separate small bowls. Divide the vinegar among bowls. Set aside for 15 minutes to pickle, then drain.
- To make the dressing, combine the orange juice, fresh turmeric, yogurt, remaining 2 tbs olive oil, and freshly ground black pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
- Spread hummus over a shallow serving bowl. Arrange spinach, pumpkin, pickled beetroot, seeds, olives, and feta over the top. Drizzle with dressing to serve.
This easy recipe is perfect for any occasion, and it makes eating healthy a welcomed Lifestyle Change to the personalized weight loss programs I establish for my patients. To learn more about the importance of meal prep and planning, schedule a complimentary discovery session with me by calling 484-685-0033 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yours in health,
Dr. Janine Darby of Lifestyle Changes